Monday, March 28, 2016

Some things I got it right

A friend shared a link today on the 57 things great parents do to bring out the best in their children - this is Daniel Wong's blog.

57 things sounded mind bogglering!  In a time-starved world that I live in, I thought 10 is more than enough.  Thankfully the points are in bold, with descriptions follow thereafter.  As I scrolled down, several of them rang aloud to me.  The following are my own thoughts:

It takes a whole lot more effort to discipline, instill values in the children than it is to give in to them.  How many times was I tempted to choose the easier way out - especially after a long, battled day - the last thing I need is to come home to discipline my child.  Yet - if I give in the first time, the second time will be much harder to pull the child back to what is deemed right.  It is tiring - it still is, after all these years, but I must say my hot-tempered son is more ready to listen to reasoning these days.  True that he needs his space and time to internalize my unbending comments, and insistence on certain expectations, but I believe he knows in his heart that mommy meant well.  It is then a matter of him coming to terms. 

A second thing we are attempting to do is to come together once a week to read the Bible together as a family, and to reflect on what was mentioned, and their key takeaway points.  Thereafter, we will pray as a family.  This, too, requires effort on our part.  When the kids come in with 'black' faces and irritable / foul moods, we will still persevere.  I think it is shaping out quite well, and for that I am thankful.

Well, to me, whatever that I am experiencing now, helps to shape me to be a better mom too... and I am thankful for the ability to learn ever so regularly - these valuable life lessons. 

No comments: