Saturday, April 2, 2016

Impact comes from the grassroots

I attended a seminar this morning where the speaker shared about how changes can happen only if we start working at the grassroots,  and what can we bring to the people in this segment.  How interesting... as many times, we imagine that we should strategize and talk to political leaders to effect changes.  What a rethinking this needs.

Over lunch, I was also told of a couple who has created impact working with women refugees, and how they have caught the attention of their political leaders, and press.  Again, I am reminded that when we work with people who are marginalized (prisoners, weak, poor) these are also the people God created, so it should not be deemed unusual or out of the ordinary.

In fact, the challenge for city folks like us is really how can we be deliberate in setting time for this segment? Being involved in programs, and if the assigned role is modest, will we feel that this is 'beneath us'?  Or will we set aside time to pray specifically for them?

Even where I am, how can I look to Him for guidance and direction given where He has placed me, and what can I do in my capacity? Befriend and earn the right to share? Perhaps...



No comments: