Saturday, April 9, 2016

A Chance to the newbie

I decided that I needed to get a haircut as my mane was getting too long for my liking.  This being a weekend is actually a horrible day to even try to get a walk in appointment with any hairstylist.  Have often been asked to make appointments prior to turning up.

As I have a 30-min window between my errands, I decided to pop by my hairstylist and try and get a quick snip.  Interestingly, as I neared her shop, I noticed a new face - a new staff - sipping coffee and starring into the space outside the shop.  When I approached her and asked for Lydia - the business owner and my hairstylist, I was told she is off for a short holiday.

What a state to be caught in - a new hand and a desire to get my hair done, and as there were no clients in the shop, I could possibly get my hair cut in 30 min! Quick thinking has it that, I ought to also give this new hand a chance... Someone has to... Else she will never get a break in her new job.

We spoke briefly and at 19 years of age, she has already done a fair bit of hairstyling jobs.  Her hope is to undertake a professional course some time in the future.  After she has done her job, I left the shop.  While it was not as great as if Lydia had done the cut, I would say, I am glad an intentional decision was made to give her a chance to work in the absence of her boss.  To me, this is a test of confidence, and trust - whether Lydia will be able to entrust her to operate the shop with integrity.  My parting words to our new hairstylist was to treasure the opportunity to work here, and work hard!

Made me smile as I reflect on it as I am reminded of the many chances that people had granted me... If not for them, I probably would not be where I am today..,, so in some ways, this is like passing it forward :)


No comments: